Skip to main content

Empty Stage, In Process



Script Synopsis Copyright 2014

EMPTY STAGE
Four characters are dealing with personal crisis. Iris is an extremely positive individual, but life continues to treat her unfairly. Alice, rejected by everyone she meets, can’t control her emotional outburst. Ryan is a brave soul in small body. Karen is an overprotective mother who is losing her children to the “ways of the world.” These troubled individuals turn to internal philosophy, attempting to understand their trials. However, they fail to notice each other, while they rant about the meaning of life. Despite their self-centeredness, each character is affected by the other characters’ rants. Eventually, the four become good friends and overcome their personal trials.

Here is a sample:







EMPTY STAGE

A Play in One Act

by

Tamara Peachy





























Cast of Characters

Iris:
A fun loving woman with a secret. ---65.
Alice:
A fat, insecure female wresting with rejection ---20’s.
Ryan:
Karen:
A skinny, annoying nerd ---16.
Mother figure, overprotective--- late 40’s.




Setting
Blank Stage.
.





Time
The early morning








                              









                                                       
Scene Synopsis

Act I
         Scene 1:                                     A blank stage. Blue lights accent the room.



 
                                             

              


                                                              ACT    I

                                                              Scene  1



                          SETTING:                  Empty stage

                          AT RISE:                    IRIS is standing in the middle of the stage.

IRIS
(full of joy)
I love this day! It’s simply glorious. It's filled with beauty. Like a soft petal of a flower touching my fingers. Today is glorious! I feel like a princess. I want to dance. I think I will dance. Yes, I will dance and smile. Laugh. Oh, I will laugh.
(laughs)
I feel like cooking something. However, I don’t have anything to cook with. I am surrounding by nothing. I can’t cook without food. I can’t cook without a stove or a pan of some sort. I suppose since I can’t cook, I will dance. Yes, I will dance.

(IRIS dances. Her movements are wild, lacking grace, but full of freedom. ALICE enters with shoulders slumped.)

ALICE
He broke up with me. Why? He had no right to say he loved me. He didn’t love me! What is love? Is there any definition for love? Well, I know breaking up with a girl isn’t love. That isn’t love. I feel so fat. I feel like a balloon full of air. I don’t think anyone will blow me up again. I will always be fat with no air. No air. Nothing. He gave me nothing.
IRIS
My dear friend! Why hast thou been so sad? Can’t you see how glorious a day this is!

(Blue lights switch to a yellow tint.)

ALICE
He broke up with me. He didn’t even say he was sorry. He broke up with me in an e-mail!
IRIS
What is this terrible man’s name?
ALICE
Oh, I don’t know.
IRIS
You don’t know? You were dating a man and you didn’t know his name. That is absurd!
ALICE
(gives a loud wail)
What? Why? Everywhere I go. Rejection. You don't like me either! Everywhere I go! He broke up with me! Rejection everywhere. I’m going to hurt myself. No more pain. My pain is super deep. Like way super dooper deep! It really hurts like a pan hitting my head!
IRIS
A pan? I need a pan. I wanted to cook something. I did. Just a moment ago! I wanted to cook something, but had no pan. You just said "pan"! That can't be a coincidence. How glorious this day is! I don’t have anything to cook with now. Maybe we met for a purpose! You said, “pan” and it has given me hope. Hope for the glorious future! I will find a pan!
ALICE
Didn’t you hear me? I want to kill myself because the rejection is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad!
(whines lightly)
Oh my soul. My poor heart. My belly. Everything about me is rejection. No one wants me.
IRIS
I will cook you a grand meal. A meal fit for a king. I will return!

(IRIS rushes off the stage right with vigor. ALICE falls to the floor and weeps. RYAN enters stage left. His dress is laughably nerdy. RYAN sees ALICE weeping and panics.)

RYAN
Oh, I am. I am…. I am not good with girls. Even worse! She’s crying! A crying woman can never be good. I am such a freak. I can feel my legs shaking. They are! My legs are shaking! They aren’t standing still. They are shaking like a rattle. Shaking like a scared person. Shaking! Shaking. How can I rescue this damsel in distress, when my legs are shaking!
ALICE
Ugh! Just get over here and hug me! That will be better than the rej….
RYAN
Oh, I don’t think I am comfortable with hugging. Hugging could lead to a relationship! I don’t think I’m ready for that!
ALICE
Rejection! Everywhere. Everyone hates me! I’m not loved. Even the geeks hate me.
RYAN
(speaking as if just hitting puberty)
Geek? You think I am a geek. I’m not a geek. I am a person. A person who deserves respect. Yeah! Respect. I am not a geek.
(starts to orate without acknowledging ALICE.)
Society has made me a geek, but I am not really a geek! I am a powerful man. I might not have much to offer. However, look at my belly button.
(shows belly button)
All humans have a belly button, so already I’m a human. I am a human. I can’t be a geek because I am a human! Humans can’t be geeks or life stops making sense.
(looks at bellybutton again)
Yes, I am a human.
ALICE
(says to herself)
I have a bellybutton too. Maybe I am not as rejected as I thought. Maybe I have potential! No! It isn't true! I won’t hope again! Rejection is everywhere!
RYAN
I am going to show my dad my belly button! Then he’ll know I am not a waste of skin. I’m human. I have a bellybutton. That will show him!

(RYAN exits stage left)

ALICE
My dad hated me. Ever since, I was a little girl, rejection. No one hugs me! That is why I am on this stage alone. Alone in a vast space. A large space. Like a large stage without any players. Rejection all around. Nothing to hold onto!

(ALICE releases a loud cry. KAREN hears the cry and rushes onto the stage from stage right.)

KAREN
Becky? Is that you screaming?
(sees ALICE)
No, you are not my daughter. You are a heathen! You’ve led her astray! I know that devil is everywhere! His spies plot against me. Those vixen women! Those lustful men! I have been searching for my daughter for over an hour now. God knows what she is getting herself in to! Demonic oppression. Blasphemy. Wearing pants instead of a skirt. The vile world CAN’T have you, my daughter! I am coming after you. To save you!

(KAREN rushes off stage left in search of her daughter, Becky.)

ALICE
Typical. Someone come into my life and leaves the next instant. She didn’t even introduce herself. Just enters than exits. Oh what a world! Rejection everywhere. Even with a belly button.

(RYAN enters stage left, defeated.)

RYAN
(speaking to himself)
I couldn’t do it. I wanted to show dad my worth! Make him see me for who I really am! But, I couldn’t even take two steps forward. I couldn’t look him in the eye. I’m so skinny!
ALICE
And I am so fat!
RYAN
Excuse me! Could you be a little more considerate? I am trying to have a personal monologue here! I am dealing with some major rejection issues!

(ALICE rushes off stage right, weeping like a little girl.)

RYAN
Women are such a mess! At least, I’m not a woman. I’m a man! A man! My dad should know that I am a man, not a female. That’s right! I’ll show him I am a man. Not a girl. That will prove that I am worth something! I’ll go there. I’ll go home and show my father who I am! I’ll prove it! I’ll show him. I am a man!

(RYAN exits stage left. IRIS enters with a pan.)

IRIS
I found a pan. Isn’t that glorious! I found a pan that I can use to cook. All I need now is the food and some fire. Yes, food will be provided. I know the world will direct me to find some food. It is written in the stars! Everything happens for a reason. What a glorious day! Filled with beauty and love! I love my life! I love life. I love life!
(looks up toward the skies)
Maybe the food will fall down from above. Maybe my food will come floating down like a dove. Food to feed the world.
(ALICE enters stage right with shoulders slumped.)

ALICE
I ran away from the skinny boy. I expected him to follow me. I thought “playing hard to get” would work. Certainly, he would see me in my distress and come running after me. No! Why would that work? Rejection follows me everywhere!
IRIS
(still looking toward the sky)
Certainly, food will come from above. The skies will reign down provision!
(waits for a moment)
Any minute now.
(waits for another moment)
Any minute now, it will come. Food from the heavens.
ALICE
Heaven? Is there a heaven. If there were a god, he or she would reject me! Rejection follows me everywhere. I know. I know the trap of heaven. We love you! Oh wait! We don’t. Goodbye!
IRIS
Food from heaven! I’m sure God wants to provide, but there’s something wrong! Something that is closing the gates of heaven. No food can come, until I make things right! I will find this injustice and stop it! Then food from heaven will come! Everything happens for a reason!

(IRIS tramps off stage left. ALICE wails.)

ALICE
I’m right here! Can’t you see me! Injustice! Injustice! I suffered injustice! He broke up with me through an e-mail! Such injustice! I am rejected everywhere I go! End that injustice!

(RYAN enters like a stereotypical hero)
I can end injustice! I see you! I hear your cry. I will save you from your condition. Will you go out with me!
ALICE
(looks RYAN up and down)
Well, you aren’t what I had in mind, but I guess I could date you.
RYAN
(offended)
You guess? That’s offensive! I’m not what you had in mind!
ALICE
Nevermind! I’m leaving! I just saved myself some real heartache. You just want to be a hero, but you don’t want to be heroic. You’ll break my heart like all the other jerks. Rejection follows me everywhere!
RYAN
I know about rejection. You aren’t the only one who has faced rejection.
ALICE
Trust me! No one knows rejection like me. Others might experience rejection, but not to the degree I did! He broke up with me over an e-mail!
RYAN
Wow! That is heartless. Come on. Let’s go out to eat. You and me!

(IRIS enters stage left with strength.)

IRIS
I have food. I have fish! They just appeared! Can you believe my luck? God is guiding me! Life has purpose! Life means something. I am loved. Beyond belief. I am loved.
RYAN
(trying to be polite)
Alice and I were planning a private meeting. Like a date.
IRIS
I wasn’t speaking to you specifically! I am just celebrating my find. Food from heaven. Please, don’t let me bother you. Go! Have fun! Date. I will enjoy this food from heaven. Everything happens for a reason.

(RYAN and ALICE look at IRIS as if she has lost her mind. They exit stage right.)

IRIS
I am blessed! Food from heaven. I don’t know if I can even eat it! It is too glorious! Provision from heaven. How do I handle such glory!

(KAREN enters stage left. Still hasn’t found her daughter. Listening to IRIS gives her hope.)

IRIS CONT.
God is to be praised! I have found miracle bread. Bread from heaven. God is a provider. He loves His creation and I love Him!
KAREN
(approaches IRIS)
You must be holy. I am so glad I found you!
IRIS
                        (doesn’t acknowledge KAREN)
The God of heaven sent me bread. Bread to enjoy all the days of my life! He is glorious. This day is glorious. Everything is falling into place!
KAREN
Excuse me. Have you seen my daughter?
IRIS
                        (still unaware of KAREN’S presence)
Glorious. Heaven above comes to earth! This day is more glorious than ever! It will never get better than today. The day God gave me manna!




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bought

Anthem of heaven incased in this CD on the market. A devotion song reformed to a green collection in his pocket. Culture how it has sought us! Taken our reverence and bought us! Worship sowing designer clothes for the artist. Melodies in bondage begin to simulate the masses. We have the radio to blare the repeat. Give us our fame and retreat This noise of adoration motivates a half hearted beat on the steering wheel. We can no longer own the heart and we can’t preach our message. We are just a copy of a man’s heart once spilled to His maker given over to another to do as he so pleases. We are bought. Owned. I want to work on this one. It seems a little hard to follow. I want it to be concrete and to the point but still lyrical. Any comments or suggestions?

Shy Suicide

Disclaimer: This poem was inspired by someone else's struggle with suicide. Don't worry I am not suicidal. Suicide, why do you hide beneath my white skin? Suicide, why do use my fake smile for your sin? Suicide, why do you keep your cover until the rope is tight, the trigger is pulled, the pills are swallowed, the wrists slit? A black phantom behind my face. A dark word behind my lips. A night in my day. Suicide, why do you ensnare all my companions? They didn’t know. They didn’t see. They didn’t recognize who had overtaken me. You left a message on paper; they read in disbelief. Suicide, you are shy, and yet you have the audacity to kill me.

Glorious Grey

 Glorious grey with your thematic expectations and sudden revelations. Many depend on your bland expression, hoping for a hidden salvation. Are you a subtle manipulator or a passive observer? Your color may not be color, making your theme perplexing. Glorious grey don't pollute the clear water. We find you in ash, rain clouds, and cement. Calling you neutral may not be correct.